Sunday, December 04, 2011

The Other Side of the Hug

Both my parents were working when I was a kid and my dad always used to come home later. I remember very clearly the excitement when I heard his keys in the door at around eight in the evening. My brother, our dog Bobby and I would all rush to the door to welcome him. We'd give him a big hug and then rob him of the chocolate bar he brought us.
My father and me at my wedding in 2008
My father and I were not very close. He had much more in common with my big brother as they both loved basketball and hanged out more together. Yet I still remember to his day how excited I was every night when he came home and how much I enjoyed hugging him. There is something very nurturing and primal about parents hugging their offsprings. With one quick hug a father tells his child: "I love you, I am here for you, I will take care of you" - without having to say it or explain what it actually means.

And now I find myself on the other side of that hug and it is utterly amazing.

After being mostly a stay at home parent with some freelancing and part time work, I have now been working full time for over two months. I was afraid that it would change my relationship with Blake and hurt the great bond we had, but I was very happy to discover that I was wrong.

For one thing, I get home a little after five, so I still get to spend a lot of time with him every day. I give him dinner, wash him and put him to bed. I teach him to read, I tell him stories and play games with him - electronic and otherwise. We go to the swimming pool every Sunday. So he repays me by remaining my shadow whether I like it or not. 80% of the time I like it. The other 20% of the time I just suck it up like a man. I got used to watching television or play videogames with Blake playing loudly the annoying Angry Birds music right next to my face with his two iPods.

Going back to work was great because I like what I'm doing and the people I work with, but I also appreciate being home more. When I walk in the dogs are first to welcome me because they are faster, but Blake is never far behind. He melts my heart with a smile and I pick him up for a big long cuddle. He would then steal my hat and try it on.

Blake and Papa

Those hugs. I cannot put a price on them. I know they will not last forever and I cherish each and every one of them. At that moment, during a hug, I feel like the luckiest man alive.

And I wish Blake that one day he would get to find himself on the other side of that hug too.



Mark said...

Awe Mickey, I could just give you a big hug right now. So sweet.

Xj Cheng said...

A lot of of them are far rolex replica costlier than simple adornment rings that this man acclimated to present his adulation with.This was the botheration and the man kept analytic till he chanced aloft Swiss affected watches.Analysis as he might,he could not acquisition any aberration amid this affected watch and the aboriginal one.He went ahead,purchased it and presented it to omega replica his love.Endure heard,this brace was adequate their amusement in Switzerland.There is no charge to say that the babe never takes off the Swiss affected watches presented to her by her man.The affected Louis Vuitton childhood accoutrements are alone in air-conditioned factor.You can acquisition out a abundant abounding celebrity moms accept replica louis vuitton chose babyish Louis Vuitton childhood bags.And if you haven't alleged the Louis Vuitton childhood accoutrements you would never feel admirable and attractive.If you can allow the big-ticket Louis Vuitton childhood accoutrements of drillmaster actualization which are aswell aces and beat advised by some acclaimed genius,you will be afraid prada replica at how abundant of what you paid for your fun with the prada replica.You accept to accept that it altogether shows abundant accidental adroitness and acrid elegance.

Marion Palmer said...

The happiness of father's coming home is amazing and everybody remember that time. Both and research paper writing service are looking very nice in the first picture specially the old man's smile is very nice.